Q: Do we need to be trained in the eye profession?
A: NO! GEM will train and support lay people to hold a vision clinic on their mission trip.
Q: How many team members are needed to hold a vision clinic?
A: We recommend 4-7 people.
Q: We are interested in holding a vision clinic. What does GEM provide? What does our team need to provide and what will it cost?
A: GLOBAL EYEGLASS MINISTRY WILL PROVIDE…
ALL TRAINING AND SUPPORT:
- Training handbook
- Training DVDs from Kendall Optometry Ministry
- Training with the autorefractor and computer software
- Practice vision clinic from set up to completion
- Notarized lease agreement with GEM & Mission team/church
- Certificate of Registration for US Customs and Border Protection
ALL EQUIPMENT NECESSARY FOR THE VISION CLINIC:
- Autorefractor, laptop, software, printer, suitcases filled with used prescription eyeglasses, readers & miscellaneous supplies. Sunglasses & eyeglass cases if the mission team packs them in their own luggage.
MISSION TEAM IS RESPONSIBLE FOR…
- $200 maintenance fee
- $75 per day of trip
- Insurance from Gallagher Charitable Insurance: approx $350-375
- $100 or $250 deductible
- GEM will list all of the equipment on the insurance form for the mission team.
- A security deposit is required equal to the deductible amount chosen by the team. This will be used in the event of damage/loss or for the deductible, if the damage/loss amount exceeds the deductible amount. This deposit will be returned upon return of complete and undamaged kit.
- Shipping of equipment, depending on your location.
- Packing baby wipes, Germ-X, etc for team members at the vision clinics.
- Outreach resources, dependent on mission trip plans
- www.campuscrusade.com: Bibles, 4 Spiritual Laws
- www.jesusfilmstore.com: Jesus DVD $6.95
- VBS materials, craft projects, bubbles, candy, etc.